Saturday, August 29, 2015

Back in the saddle

I often see abandoned blogs and think, "How sad. I wonder what happened that made this blogger stop blogging." I don't have to wonder anymore, because I am that blogger. I am that person who stopped mid blog.

What happened though was not sad, it was life. Life kept going, life got busy, too busy to sit down and write to stangers about it. Life got in the way of my blog...or did it? For many years, hundreds, no thousands, of years life did not get in the way of blogging, but it seems as if now, in 2015, maybe blogging gets in the way of life. We are so caught up in blogging and texting and facebooking that we have forgotten to live for living, we have replaced it with living to social media.

I'm not pointing fingers, because I'm the first one who will admit to spending more time than I should on the computer. It's the society we have become. We FB or instagram our kids pictures, their funny quotes, our frustrations with life. We play games on our phones. We text our friends more often than we speak to them. We don't interact like we used to, dinners are now a family seated, heads down, fingers running faster than we ever could, looking up occassionally to see if our food has arrived from a waiter who was just checking his phone before checking the window to see if our order was up. We now communicate through a 2inx6in box.

On the flip side of the coin, I now stay in contact with friends from highschool, former co-workers and distant family that without social media I would not have stayed in contact with before. We get to see pictures of their kids, hear how things are going, celebrate highs and comfort during lows. My high school class did not have a reunion yet, but in many ways I don't feel we have to spend a small fortune on 1 night out when we have FB to keep in touch. I can post pictures knowing my or my husband aunts can see the kids, keep up with us from half a country away.


So what does this mean.....Social media isn't going anywhere. Neither am I. I'll be back to give another update on my family....when time permits, because I am trying to be more present and less of a screen to my kids...to be their mom first and a blogger/facebooker second. I'll let you know how that works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment